Koniku is an early-stage, rapidly-growing company based in Silicon Valley. We build smell cyborgs by merging genetically modified living biological neurons with classic devices. Our flagship device, the Konikore™, detects smells using GPCR’s or olfactory receptor proteins hosted in biological cells. There are dynamic applications in healthcare, security, synthetic flavors & foods, and much more.
We partner with a range of Fortune 500 companies as Technology Integrators and have been recently featured by The Financial Times, CNN, Bloomberg, TechCrunch & others. Notable partners, customers and investors include: Airbus, BASF, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Fraunhofer Institute Stuttgart, P&G, SoftBank, Platform Capital, IndieBio (SOSv).
Beyond the numerous B2B opportunities, we aim to have a Konikore in ten million homes as a real-time disease diagnostic tool within the next decade. Koniku is a face-to-face company and our campus & culture are the nucleus of the Koniku spirit. Our headquarters include a next-generation deep technology Wetlab and a robust manufacturing facility, alongside our corporate, administrative & customer support teams. We are driven by a fundamental belief that “Bio is Tech™”.
Define standards, protocols, and methods to collect data. Implement data collection hardware across multiple sources from third-party instrumentation to IoT devices that are located within Koniku or external.
Ensure the data is consistently and systemically labeled, securely housed, and easily accessible. Define and implement data-sharing approaches. Additionally, the Snr. Data Engineer will help define protocols and approaches to help internal and external users deploy advanced analytical models on a reliable data backend.
WHY IT MATTERS
The Snr. Data Engineer’s primary role is ensuring Koniku data architecture (physical & virtual) enables the seamless flow of high integrity data across multiple individuals, teams, and disciplines. This role designs, builds, and implements a data framework that allows everyone (internal and external) to access the data they need to drive the vision and objectives of Koniku.
The candidate implementation of Koniku’s data universe makes new insights inevitable, new groundbreaking discoveries, and uncommon connections become commonplace. Our Snr. data engineer ensures the plumbing which routes all the data across Koniku is running clean data of high integrity and implements technologies that allow us to handle any capacity that internal or external customers might demand.
- Understand the massive data play that Koniku represents - internal & external. Partner with leadership, scientists and engineers, to deeply understand how we generate data, what the data represents and the myriad of ways value can be extracted from the data.
- Second, map the current internal Koniku data universe, internal and external. Then, assess, categorize, and sanitize existing datasets based on thoughtful consideration of what makes maximum business impact.
- Build and Implement high data reliability and integrity pipelines.
- Design the data acquisition, storage and sharing landscape for internal customers or users. These users or internal customers are scientists, engineers, sales and corporate clients company-wide. Koniku’s internal data architecture will enable scientists and engineers to work seamlessly, share data easily and transparently.
- The data architecture you have built will help us extract maximum value from what we have and make what we are missing starkly apparent.
- Design the data landscape to be client-ready such that we can open up appropriate access for external customers. These customers are fortune 500 companies with clear requirements around data security, formats and integrity.
- Prepare existing Koniku data sets and engineer our internal data architecture to ingest large data sets generated by various custom processes such that the data is ready for analytics, ML modeling, internal & external services and more.
- Oversee the design and implementation of IoT data architecture.
- Help drive the “data everywhere approach” for Koniku. Scientific, Technology, and Corporate. Promote infrastructures that allow us to call data easily from any source and derive insights and trends. Listen and collaborate with team members to understand and anticipate their data needs.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- B.Sc., M.Sc., or PhD degree in computer science, electrical engineering or related discipline. Strong interest or previous experience in Pharma or especially, synthetic biology or biotech is a strong plus.
- Eight to ten years of experience in building and managing data pipelines.
- Experience with time-series data, imaging data - structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data. Ability to extract information and identify relationships across seemingly disparate data sets. Skills in processing and manipulating very large data, preferably in Python.
- Experience in cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud or sSimilar.
- Expertise with database technologies for example Hadoop, MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, Teradata or similar.
- Prior work or familiarity with streaming time-series data from thousands to millions of IoT devices in real-time.
- Experience with data visualization is a plus.
- Deep understanding of best practices around information security, guard against external threats and internal mishaps.
- We are seeking a curious, energetic self-starter with a passion for learning, and a can-do attitude.
- You can see the big picture but can simultaneously focus on day to day tasks.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary range $100,000 - $180,000 per year (depending on qualification and justified ability to deliver on exact metrics).
- Generous sign-on bonus and performance-based grants.
- Opportunity to participate in the company's employee equity program.
- Employer-sponsored 401K plan with 4% matching.
- Generous health, life, dental and vision insurance.
- Paid & flexible vacation.
- Fully-paid parental leave.
- Reserved parking and commuter benefits.