Hi, we’re Second Genome.
We are a fast-paced and innovative venture-backed biotechnology company developing tomorrow’s breakthrough therapeutics at the interface of complex microbial communities and their host environments.
We are looking for a VP of Market Strategy & Development. This position will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer & Chief Business Officer and will work closely with cross-functional teams including research and operations. S/he will be responsible for developing strategy for external communication for our lead programs in IBD and Oncology including, but not limited to, MOA Awareness Campaigns, Publication & Congress Plan, Public Relations Plan, Patient Advocacy & KOL Engagement Plans.
The successful candidate will have experience in market development for pre-launch programs, disease and/or MOA awareness campaigns, scientific platform development and publication & scientific conference strategy & planning. The candidate must have strong communication, collaboration and organization skills and thrive in a fast-paced energetic working environment.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Participate actively as key leader and members of the Strategy Leadership Team and the Operations Team to align program market development with program plans and corporate strategy
- Conduct market research and other market insight activities based on business need and provide insights to R&D teams as needed for context and consideration for program strategy and data generation.
- Provide input into program plans and data generation – to ensure maximization of product, pipeline and commercial potential
- Engage with key internal partners and lead the development and execution of the company’s overarching Market Development Strategy for our 2 lead programs:
- Strategic communications plan which includes but not limited to Target Product Profile, positioning, scientific platform for each lead program
- Develop and ensure implementation of the publication & scientific conference strategy and communication plan
- Create and implement disease/MOA awareness campaigns
- Market research and other avenues to develop insights to guide key areas of data generation outside of registrational studies that are critical for successful commercialization - including HEOR/RWE and patient reported outcomes data generation (once in clinical stage).
- Advance collaborations, in partnership with internal key stakeholders, with key opinion leaders (KOLs) in IBD and oncology.
- Lead patient advocacy engagement e.g. Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation (CCF)
- Oversee development and maintenance of updated corporate website
- Maintain updated corporate deck
- Collaborate with R&D teams to maintain updated program detailed slide decks
- Lead public relations activities with PR Agency including Press Release and social media planning and execution
Professional and Personal Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree required in a science / biotech relevant field and advanced degree (PhD, MBA, MD, PharmD) preferred
- Preferred candidate will have 15+ years’ of experience in marketing, medical communications, market development or related roles (biotech, life sciences)
- History of successful leadership roles and ability to engage in strategic discussions at the executive level
- Ability to navigate a small biotech and be willing to adapt quickly in a fast-paced nimble working environment
- Deep marketing / scientific knowledge in oncology and/or gastrointestinal diseases
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn the science and clinical data for pre-clinical and clinical programs
- Extensive experience successfully managing vendor relationships including but not limited to Medical Communications, Brand Strategy and Public Relations vendors
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and ability to apply to a detailed project plan
- Excellent interpersonal communication, organizational, and computer and software skills
- Demonstrated decision-making ability and proven resource management skills
- Self-directed, accomplishment-driven individual with a strong sense of passion and urgency who can work both independently and in a cross- functional team environment, fostering open communication, mutual understanding, and cooperation.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability negotiate during situational conflict and establish the best forward path in the face of competing points of view
- Track record of collaboration and stakeholder relationship management