CellFE is a venture-backed company with a mission to make advanced therapies accessible to all by transforming the way gene therapies are manufactured. The company uses a microfluidics-based cell engineering platform that can be adapted universally to enable low-cost, high-yield manufacturing of gene therapies at scale. CellFE's first generation of products is being developed for contract manufacturers and pharmaceutical companies that specialize in ex-vivo cell therapy and viral vector ("VV") manufacturing.
Our values guide our work: There is a way, Pull together, and Hard work.
Position summary: Candidate will be responsible for researching and developing new cellular transfection related applications through the use of CellFE's microfluidic platform, as well as work within a team and to external stakeholders to research, develop, and optimize parameters for cellular transfection using the same platform.
The successful research associate in bioengineering will:
- Perform experimentation and deliver results relating to new Cas9 applications and process optimization of CellFE platform
- Work within an interdisciplinary team to design and implement robust operating protocols for delivery to customers
- Be able to effectively research and identify solutions within the microfluidic and cellular transfection subject spaces
This position is based in Alameda, CA and is a member of the Engineering team, reporting to the project lead.
- Transfect various cell lines and biological payloads - including CRISPR/Cas9, mRNA, and plasmid - using CellFE and competitor platforms
- Operate microfluidic devices using CellFE patented technology
- Research, create, and execute on experiments based on goals relayed by team lead
- Analyze experimental data independently and present results in a clear and critical manner
- Devise and optimize robust operating protocol for Cas9 RNP based knock-out and knock-in using microfluidic platform for third parties
- Collaborate with team in order to generate preliminary data for various CRISPR/Cas9 applications
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in bioengineering, mechanical engineering, biotechnology, molecular biology, or related field; Master's degree desirable
- Lab experience (12+ months) in a relevant setting
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering, biological, biochemical or physics principles
- Committed to scientific rigor, data integrity, documentation, and traceability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, adaptability, and ability to work in a fast-moving and dynamic research environment
- Experience analyzing and presenting research data to peers, as well as to leadership team
- Proficient with SharePoint/OneDrive and Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word
- Experience preforming base research on subjects and efficiently designing experiments to test various hypothesis
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, transfection, and analysis
- Experience with molecular biology techniques: DNA or RNA extraction, PCR, DNA gels, plasmid cloning, transfection, etc.
- Experience with microfluidic development and testing: operating syringe, peristaltic, and pneumatic pump sources
- Experience with cell biology readout: flow cytometry, cell counting, cell phenotyping, microscopy, sequencing, etc.
- Proficient with software's such as, FlowJo, Prism, or 2D and/or 3D CAD programs
- Previous work experience in a biotechnology company or contract research organization is a plus
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to ask questions and follow instructions
- Able to grasp scientific principles and learn new techniques quickly
- Accurately records and processes data in a timely manner
- Works well independently, as well as in a team environment
- Effective problem solving and analytical skills; results oriented focus
- Highly organized
- Excellent time management and interpersonal skills
- Patience, decisiveness, and a meticulous approach to tasks
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; strong technical writing skills
- Team player who is willing to be flexible with scheduling and coordinating experiments
- Reliable, with a professional demeanor
CellFE is an equal opportunity employer