ZymoChem is hiring a Metabolic Engineering Scientist to join a rapidly expanding R&D team and provide crucial support to both the metabolic engineering and strain development groups for the fast-paced, goal-driven development of the company’s novel carbon conserving metabolic pathway biotechnology. This role is a growth-based opportunity to acquire extensive, diverse experiences and skills with strain development, enzyme engineering, and automation. The Metabolic Engineering Scientist will also have the opportunity to build out & expand the Strain Development Group’s capabilities with state-of-the-art technologies as well as to collaborate with other internal R&D groups and the company’s external partners
- Lead the development of strains with a focus on novel metabolic pathways targeted at achieving TRY metrics.
- Design and implement molecular and synthetic biology workflows for the construction of plasmids, strains, and enzymes to facilitate strain engineering efforts.
- Lead the design of experiments, creation & optimization of protocols, and collection & processing data.
- Guide and performin vitro and in vivo enzymatic assays, and lead strain evaluation.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with other R&D groups, including the Fermentation, Enzyme Engineering, and Analytics teams.
- Interface with the company’s data management system to record strain and enzyme-based data.
- Coordinate with external collaborators, partners, and vendors to ensure smooth workflow between all stakeholders.
- Assist with the expansion of the group’s capabilities by exploring new technologies and strategies to improve experimental throughput and support automation efforts.
- Mentor and guide junior Research Associates in the Strain Development Group.
- PhD or MS in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Biochemical Engineering, or a related discipline.
- PhD with 2+ years (or MS degree with 6+ years) research experience in an industrial/startup research group is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to reach targeted metrics though design, construction, and testing of strains and metabolic pathways.
- Experience working withE. coli is required; additional experience with other industrially relevant microorganisms is a plus.
- Hands on experience with synthetic biology and strain engineering techniques such as PCR, Gibson Assembly, restriction digestion, ligation, and homologous recombination.
- Experience with protein expression, purification, and enzymatic assays.
- Rigorous attention to details with experimental design, execution, noise/variability, reproducibility, and recordkeeping.
- Keen sense for both physical (lab) and data-oriented organization.
- Excellent time management skills, effective with multitasking, and an adept ability to improvise work plans while maintaining efficiency.
- Clear and effective communication skills.
- Previous mentoring experience is a plus.