ZymoChem is hiring a Metabolic Engineering Research Associate to join a rapidly expanding R&D team and provide crucial support to both the metabolic engineering and strain development groups for the fast-paced, goal-driven development of the company’s novel carbon conserving metabolic pathway biotechnology. This role is a growth-based opportunity to acquire extensive, diverse experiences and skills with strain development, enzyme engineering, and automation. The Metabolic Engineering Research Associate will also have the opportunity to build out & expand the Strain Development Group’s capabilities with state-of-the-art technologies as well as to collaborate with other internal R&D groups and the company’s external partners.
- Implement molecular and synthetic biology workflows for the construction of plasmids, strains, and enzymes to facilitate strain engineering efforts.
- Design of experiments, creation & optimization of protocols, and collection & processing data.
- Assist within vitro and in vivo enzymatic assays, and strain evaluation.
- Interface with the company’s data management system to record strain and enzyme-based data.
- Assist with designing experiments, creating & optimizing protocols, and collecting & processing data.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with other R&D groups, including the Enzyme Engineering and Analytics teams.
- Manage the streamlined operation of the Strain Development Group by routinely preparing sterile materials, reagents, and media as well as maintaining the group’s chemicals and consumables inventories.
- MS or BS in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Biochemical Engineering, or a related discipline.
- Previous research experience (1-2 years) with an academic lab and/or industrial research group.
- Industrial/startup research experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience working withE. coli is required; additional experience with other industrially relevant microorganisms is a plus.
- Hands on experience with synthetic biology and strain engineering techniques such as PCR, Gibson Assembly, restriction digestion, ligation, and homologous recombination.
- Experience with protein expression, purification, and enzymatic assays is plus.
- Rigorous attention to details with experimental design, execution, noise/variability, reproducibility, and recordkeeping.
- Keen sense for both physical (lab) and data-oriented organization.
- Excellent time management skills, effective with multitasking, and an adept ability to improvise work plans while maintaining efficiency.