UC Berkeley in partnership with QB3 is launching Bakar Labs, the flagship life science focused incubator on the UC Berkeley campus. Bakar Labs will be a vibrant and well-equipped incubator that can host up to 80 startup companies developing products in therapeutics, diagnostics, research tools, agriculture and new foods. Bakar Labs is part of the Bakar BioEnginuity Hub a new campus-wide initiative whose mission is to stimulate entrepreneurship at the intersection of engineering, physical sciences, computer science and biology.
Bakar Labs is seeking a Business Operations Manager to play a critical role in the success of the incubator and will be responsible for directing operations in the following areas:
Create Processes, Monitor Cash flow, Troubleshoot:
- Leverage existing purchasing and accounting campus resources to create processes which accurately and efficiently track all income and expenses for the incubator.
- Monitor all income from tenant leases, tenant premium services, and industry partnership revenue.
- Recognize and take action to rectify irregularities.
- Assist enterprise employees with HR support such as future hires, including job descriptions, compensation, applicant reviews.
- Establish and update accounting codes for all the charges made to tenants (space: benches, private labs, desks, offices, conference room rental, services: glass wash and autoclave services, copiers)
High Level Budgeting and Planning:
- Provide analysis for highly complex budgetary funding, financial and resource projects including: Assisting Managing Director with budget creation and reporting on key performance indicators.
- Manage budget and profit/loss statement for the enterprise.
Record All Cashflows In/Out:
· Develop and prepare complex budgets with multiple funding sources.
- Activities include: Entering billings to accounts payable/ receivable including utilities, custodial, facilities services trades, EH&S inspections and support, UCPD card key, security and video support.
- Report significant variances that impact operations.
Tenant Onboarding, Support and Termination:
- Execute tenant lease/termination in coordination with incubator management team.
- Generate billing processes.
- Track tenant space assignments, the use of in-house premium services and adjustments.
- Maintain tenant data including company summary, logo, tenant employees with titles, cell phone contact info, lease start date, key points of contact.
- Manage cardkey assignments according to incubator staff and tenant staff changes.
Inbound Inquiries and Visitor Support:
- Oversee the response to inbound inquiries, via email or phone inquiry.
- Schedule and occasionally provide tours to prospective qualified tenants.
- Coordinate front desk and reception coverage.
Daily Office Operations:
- Provide planning and logistical support for day-today office activities as needed including catering, setup, furniture rental, technology support.
- Manage facility calendar for events.
- Maintain orderliness (non-custodial) of non-laboratory incubator areas.
- Manage distribution of tenant mail.
- Purchase and maintain office supplies, phones, copiers, computers, web services, etc.
Supervision of Direct Reports:
- Supervision of a small group of support and professional staff in the areas of Financial Analysis, Facilities, and front desk and data support.
- May supervise a small staff of professional support employees and/or students.
- Represents the department on business affairs to the institution community and serves on committees.
- Leads administrative team to ensure all day-today issues are dealt with.
- May delegate tasks to team members, track progress, and ensure deadlines are met.
- Go-to person for day-to day operational guidance.
- May coach employees as needed.
- Handle escalations relating to administrative team.
- Performs and/or oversees special projects or assignments that are sensitive or complex in nature.
- Provides analysis for highly complex budgetary funding, financial and resource projects
- Advanced knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University rules and regulations, processes, protocols and procedures for budget, accounting, and fund management, and / or personnel management.
- Advanced interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising and counseling skills.
- Advanced knowledge of a variety of administrative operational activities such as event planning, basic fundraising processes, risk management planning, website design, accounting and payroll, and contracts and grants regulations and guidelines.
- Advanced knowledge of or ability to quickly learn common University-specific computer application programs.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Advanced skills in short- and long-term strategic planning, analysis, problem-solving and customer service.
EDUCATION / TRAINING:
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Five years of working experience in accounting and financial analysis.