NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to build a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine that has a track record of generating one new IND candidate per year. NGM’s current pipeline of clinical-stage programs consists of five drug candidates targeting liver and metabolic diseases, retinal diseases and cancer. The most advanced drug candidate, aldafermin (NGM282), is in Phase 2b clinical studies in patients with liver fibrosis stage 4 (F4) and compensated cirrhosis due to non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and is wholly-owned by NGM. Another drug candidate, NGM621, is in a Phase 2 study in geographic atrophy (GA) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD), and the drug candidate NGM120 is in a Phase 1/2 study for the treatment of advanced solid tumors and pancreatic cancer. NGM’s strategic collaboration with Merck, with a current term running to March 2022, provides us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
NGM’s Legal Department is excited to host a paid, part-time internship for college students this fall. No legal or scientific experience is required, just enthusiasm and curiosity. Designed for students who want to learn about the legal operations of a cutting-edge biotechnology business, this internship involves working closely with our attorneys and contracts managers. We are considering college students from all backgrounds with an analytical aptitude and interest in the development of medicines.
Core Tasks will Include a Combination of:
- Analyze and review business and clinical trial contracts, comparing and contrasting contracts currently in negotiation to previous business contracts
- Work with NGM negotiators to improve outcomes and limit risk
- Review, tag, and organize contract templates stored in a shared drive
- Assist with maintenance of and investigations in NGM’s database of contracts, cleaning up duplicate entries and filling in missing data fields
- Present project updates at weekly team meetings for an audience of 6+ legal professionals
- Help manage the shared gmail inbox for the contracts team
- Various projects, depending on interest and previous experience
Professional Learning Opportunities:
- Receive extensive training on business contracts in the context of a biotechnology company developing medicines and bringing them to market
- Shadow contract negotiations between NGM and external business and research organizations
- Learn to analyze contract language specific to the process of research, drug development, and clinical trials
- Get coaching on communication and writing skills in a business setting
- Through professional mentorship, explore your interests in legal aspects of biotechnology, including Intellectual Property, negotiations, and clinical trials
- Enrolled in a Community College or University for the fall semester of 2021; start and end dates are flexible for this 3-month fall internship
- Able to work remotely for 12-20 hours per week; occasional Legal Team events and/or projects will be on-site at our office in South San Francisco
- Knowledge of and proficiency using Microsoft Office suite, specifically Word and Powerpoint
- Curiosity and enthusiasm for the legal aspects of biotechnology research
- This internship is designed for current college students for this fall semester, 2021
- Specific start and end dates are flexible and will be determined in discussion with the intern
- This is a paid internship; compensation is set at $25/hr
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, employee stock purchase program participation, 401(k) and a comprehensive, industry-leading, benefits package.