NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to build a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine that has a track record of generating one new IND candidate per year. NGM’s current pipeline of clinical-stage programs consists of five drug candidates targeting liver and metabolic diseases, retinal diseases and cancer. The most advanced drug candidate, aldafermin (NGM282), is in Phase 2b clinical studies in patients with liver fibrosis stage 4 (F4) and compensated cirrhosis due to non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and is wholly-owned by NGM. Another drug candidate, NGM621, is in a Phase 2 study in geographic atrophy (GA) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD), and the drug candidate NGM120 is in a Phase 1/2 study for the treatment of advanced solid tumors and pancreatic cancer. NGM’s strategic collaboration with Merck, with a current term running to March 2022, provides us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
NGM is excited to hire an Assistant Controller. The Assistant Controller will be responsible for the accumulation and consolidation of NGM’s financial data necessary for an accurate accounting and reporting of consolidated business results, and the integrity of the general ledger. The Assistant Controller will oversee accounting operations, including general accounting, clinical and CMC accruals, accounts receivable, revenue recognition under ASC 606, international accounting and consolidation, payroll and external audit process. Reporting to the VP, Corporate Controller, the Assistant Controller will be responsible for monthly, quarterly, and annual financial closes, supervise staff, prepare technical accounting memos and will assist with Sarbanes Oxley Act 404(b) implementation and compliance.
- Manages accounting close process and continuously improves processes to scale with the organization.
- Oversees the General Accounting, Clinical and CMC Accruals, AR, Revenue, International Accounting, Consolidation and Payroll functions. Responsible for building and leading a service-oriented team and related processes and internal controls to facilitate the flow of information, the timely processing of transactions, and the resolution of discrepancies.
- Reviews journal entries and various account reconciliations to facilitate the month end closing process, including bank reconciliations and other balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Manages monthly accrual process for the Company, including Clinical and CMC accrual process, ensuring all accruals are complete, accurately computed, documented, and recorded.
- Maintains company chart of accounts within Netsuite, including updating chart of accounts as a result of department requests for new accounts.
- Liaises with external auditors to provide requested information for quarterly reviews and annual audits, including annual statutory audits/tax returns.
- Assists in preparing 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K reports, including supporting footnotes for SEC filings. Prepares various supporting schedules to support the filings.
- Performs research and analysis of technical accounting issues and their application. Authors technical white papers as needed. Assesses and supports the Company’s implementation of new accounting pronouncements.
- Assists with the initial implementation of SOX 404(b) and on-going maintenance of the Company’s system of internal controls. Responsible for creating and documenting processes and procedures within the finance department and ensuring on-going SOX 404(b) compliance.
- Participates in contract reviews to provide accounting guidance and ensure completeness and accuracy of accounting analyses and policies.
- Assists and supports various cross-functional projects, as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting with at least 10 years of demonstrated success in accounting roles of increasing responsibility, preferably a mix of both public accounting and corporate accounting roles within a publicly traded Biotechnology company. Big 4 experience required. CPA required.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, SEC Regulations and understanding of SOX 404(b) compliance.
- Experience with international consolidation principles, including consolidating multiple entity financial statements denominated in foreign currency.
- Experience with financial systems, including major ERP preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills.
- Process-oriented organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively multi-task, prioritize work, and establish and execute plans to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong team player and highly collaborative.
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, employee stock purchase program participation, 401(k) and a comprehensive, industry-leading, benefits package.