**Please note we are partnering with BioSpace to help recruit for this role. Do not apply here. Please apply on their website here:
Bolt is a materials company inventing the sustainable textiles and ingredients of the future. Every day we’re inspired by the amazing materials we work with and driven by the desire to turn these materials into incredible products that solve the problems of a resource-constrained world.
We are collaborative, driven individuals who love creative problem-solving, taking action and implementing solutions. We’re always on the lookout for curious, resourceful, and motivated people who want to make a lasting impact. Join a diverse team of engineers, scientists, marketers, and consumer product experts.
We’re Looking For...
Bolt Threads is looking for a hands-on project, manufacturing and process engineer to support the creation, implementation, scale-up, and operation of our biomaterials equipment via a wide variety of projects. This position will play a key role in an agile project management and engineering team working on various growth opportunities and tackling diverse and challenging problems both at the manufacturing scale and in process development.
Initial focus will be placed on supporting the designing, building, commissioning, and continuous improvement of our initial manufacturing operations in Emeryville and then expand to our future, much larger and global manufacturing capabilities. This person needs to have experience with capital project engineering and starting up a new manufacturing line and handing that over to the operations owner.
The ideal candidate will have strong technical fundamentals, project management skills, capital and manufacturing engineering experience in building and improving manufacturing capabilities to enable efficient company growth. Experience and skills to safely manage and oversee contractor work on electrical and mechanical systems along with the ability to travel to various vendors, contractors, manufacturing sites to support their projects. They must also be willing to roll up their sleeves, when needed and have a mindset oriented towards flexibility to meet a growing organization’s needs in a fast-paced startup environment.
Their browser just might have bookmarks to McMaster, their favorite equipment vendors and various engineering help sites to help them find the right pumps and fans, size the right lines and wires or calculate motor power needs.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll get honest feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
Within the first 90 days you will...
- Build an appreciation for the current processes and get to know your colleagues across the company you will be working with to successfully deliver on projects
- Get up to speed on the projects you will be leading and supporting
- Safely rolling up your sleeves at the Emeryville manufacturing location to understand the inner workings of the process to make our products
- Take on a variety of project activities that are needed to build out our first manufacturing line in Emeryville and get it up and running safely and reliably.
- Identify technical problems with our new manufacturing line, work with subject matter experts to understand root cause, identify solutions and quickly work with right internal and external resources to implement solution and make it right
- Lead off the shelf or custom equipment builds, installations and hand-off to operations and maintenance
- Traveling to our local vendors, contractors and 3rd parties that are needed to help us successfully grow
Eventually, The Work will Expand to...
- Support the project team as a project engineer to lead various equipment design and build projects for our larger manufacturing growth projects around the world.
- Manage capital and manufacturing improvement projects where you will be responsible to deliver the project on time, on budget and meets capability objectives through effective project management practices, process engineering and leading through influence
- Manage vendors and contractors to deliver their scope of projects and hold them accountable ranging from small fabrication to capital equipment and facility design/build
- Stakeholder communication of projects via project summary and status reports
- Work alongside the Process Development and Engineering teams to build and deliver on quality process engineering deliverables including but not limited to:
- Functional specifications
- Process maps
- Process descriptions
- Equipment Design schematics and calculations
- Cycle maps and IE models
- Process models
- Collaborate with engineering, process development and manufacturing teams to identify needs and prioritize projects
- Be a safety leader and example for the team and deliver on key safety deliverables such as process safety and hazard reviews
- Plan and Execute equipment factory and site acceptance testing alongside vendors
- Ensure there is a smooth handoff from project team to owners such as providing instructions and training support to researchers, technicians and operators
- Innovate, improve processes and standardize alongside the engineering and process development teams
- Documentation and maintenance of current standards and best practices
- Works with engineering team, plants and vendors to ensure compliance with government and engineering standards
- Support cross functional teams as well as interact with all levels of internal customers and external vendors
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring…
- BS in engineering or a related discipline with at least 8 years of relevant experience
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment
- Experience working in a fast-paced pilot and process development environment
- Green Belt certification and other Lean Six Sigma skills that have been demonstrated; or equivalent
- A self-starter attitude that drives you every day to get your work done with minimal oversight
- Experience leading, managing, and executing design/build capital projects (value >$1MM), with proven ability to translate engineering goals into solutions that meet scope, schedule, and cost
- Experience with using engineering software to develop designs and schematics
- Understanding and appreciation of industrial controls and electrical systems in order to integrate and trouble machinery controls
- Proficiency reading and editing detailed process, electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics
- Ability to be scrappy and work in a fast-paced environment while practicing sound judgment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 20% time
- Experience managing contractors/vendors/machine builders to deliver on a variety of capital projects
Please be sure to add email@example.com to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.