Bolt is a materials company inventing the sustainable textiles and ingredients of the future. Every day we’re inspired by the amazing materials we work with and driven by the desire to turn these materials into incredible products that solve the problems of a resource-constrained world.
We are collaborative, driven individuals who love creative problem-solving. We’re always on the lookout for curious, resourceful, and motivated people who want to make a lasting impact. Join a diverse team of engineers, scientists, marketers, and consumer product experts.
We’re Looking For...
A detail-oriented, and enthusiastic Lab Technician to help deliver consistent and high-quality products to our partners and customers. The ideal candidate will have the opportunity to support a variety of different disciplines and support lab operations for fermentation, analytical chemistry, and quality. They will perform mechanical and physical quality control testing on mycelium-based soft materials. They will collaborate with a team of associates to execute and generate reliable and timely data to support process development, product development, and final product qualification. The ideal candidate will have the ability to follow Standard Operating Procedures consistently, be able to make and communicate detailed observations, independent, highly self-motivated, and have good organizational and time management skills to work in a fast paced team environment.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll get honest feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
Within the first 30 days you will…
- Work alongside your peers in the fermentation, analytical chemistry, and quality lab.
- Prepare media, buffers, and maintain inventory.
- Learn the basics of fermentation operations and identify support needs (clean and sterilize glassware, assemble and disassemble fermentors)
- Familiarize yourself with standard laboratory procedures and equipment calibrations.
- Take on responsibilities for general lab duties and equipment maintenance.
- Learn the steps for sample preparation and metadata collection for the mechanical and physical assays run by the Quality department.
- Help execute QC testing with high degree of reliability.
- Learn the steps for mobile phase and solvent mixture preparation for use by the assays run by the Analytical Chemistry department.
- Learn how to navigate the LIMS system to record batch records and capture and deliver data to customers.
- Be trained in safe practices in the work environment.
In the first 60 days you will…
- Independently disassemble, clean and reassemble fermentors and related process equipment.
- Independently prepare and sterilize media according to standard operating procedures.
- Maintain/troubleshoot general lab equipment and perform routine calibrations.
- Execute mechanical and physical QC assays independently at a similar speed to others on the team.
- Be comfortable in navigating the LIMS system independently.
- Be able to identify problems with QC and analytical testing equipment or protocols as they arise as well as learn how to resolve them.
- Be capable of managing, organizing, and ordering lab supplies and consumables specific to fermentation, QC and analytical testing equipment and protocols.
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring...
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline (e.g., materials science, biology, chemistry)
- 6 months-1 year of experience in a research or quality control laboratory
- Experience with general lab procedures, sterile technique preferred but not required
- Ability to follow Standard Operating Procedures for various testing equipment
- Ability to lift 20 pounds and work standing 50% of work day
- Ability to work on weekends if needed
- Ability to work safely in a laboratory environment
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Excellent time management and organization skills
Please be sure to add email@example.com to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.