Are you curious, driven, and collaborative? Do you want to work at one of the most innovative and impactful biotech companies in the Bay Area? Mission Bio’s Tapestri Precision Genomics Platform was #2 on the The Scientist’s 2018 Top 10 Innovations list. And single-cell sequencing, which we focus on, was voted Nature Methods Method of the Year 2019. Our mission is to enable our customers to eliminate cancer.
Mission Bio is a start-up providing the best-in-class solution for single-cell genomics, ranging from research to translational/clinical medicine. We are a small team that is growing rapidly, so this is an opportunity for a talented, driven individual to significantly impact the direction and success of an exciting young company. We are committed to diversity. If you are a collaborative, curious, hardworking professional who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive environment, we would love to meet you.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As the first in-house legal hire of Mission Bio, the Director, Legal will be building the legal function, manage legal needs and operations, and implement sound and scalable best practices supporting the company’s growth. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, he or she will extensively partner with all departments and regularly interact with outside counsel and other third parties. This position has an opportunity for growth within a company helping eradicate cancer.
- Interface with Sales, Sales Ops, Support, Product Ops, Finance and Accounting teams and assist in the development and negotiation of a wide variety of sales, channel, partnership, support, licensing, SaaS and services contracts
- Advise on risks and liabilities of proposed commercial transactions and devise creative and practical legal solutions to meet business objectives
- Provide legal and strategic business advice to help develop a comprehensive, long-term approach to our relationships with key partners and enterprise customers and the commercial aspects of our key products and programs
- Implement legal operation tools including contract management system and repository
- Develop and implement form agreements, playbooks, best practices and training initiatives for an evolving business
- Keep abreast of and advise on applicable laws, regulations and industry guidance that impact commercial agreements
- Draft, review and revise contracts including legal matters such as commercial, procurement, employment, corporate and real estate
- Support commercial deal negotiation and closing
- Achieve positive outcome through influence, negotiation, and change management
- Assess and balance legal risk against operational and financial goals
- Partner with People team on HR matters including compliance training
- Support international expansion of the company
- Collaborate closely with outside general counsel for more complex matters
- Incumbent is required to have at minimum of a law degree and admitted to the bar within the state of California (or equivalent, with ability to be admitted to the bar in CA). Other states are highly desirable.
- 5 years of commercial contract experience at a top law firm or in-house, with 1-2 years of in-house experience or supporting in-house clients preferred
- Proven experience in providing legal guidance/advice on business matters is required. Experience in life science or biopharma preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong attention to details, ability to prioritize and rapidly address key matters
- Energetic, resourceful self-starter with high integrity, problem-solving skills and collaborative approach to thrive in a dynamic, team environment.
- Experience drafting and negotiating a wide range of commercial contracts, with strong attention to detail
- Comfort and familiarity working closely with a sales team and at ease interacting with a range of global customers and partners from commercial to enterprise businesses
- Demonstrated experience as a self-driven attorney who can work independently with excellent business judgment and strategic thinking
- Ability to prioritize and manage business expectations in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in data security, data privacy regulations and industry compliance standards
- Experience in enterprise software, with knowledge of cloud-based service offerings and licensing a plus. Experience supporting a channel driven go-to-market business is also a plus