BioAge is a well-funded, rapidly-growing clinical-stage biotechnology company that develops drugs to treat aging-related diseases. Aging is the fundamental driver of many highly morbid, chronic diseases that reduce both the quantity and quality of life. We believe that intervening directly in the aging process will be the most impactful way to decrease the burden of disease and increase healthspan in an aging population.
BioAge has built a systems biology platform to map out the key molecular pathways that impact healthy human aging, based on proprietary human aging cohorts that have blood samples collected up to 45 years ago with participant -omics data that is tied to detailed medical follow-up records over their lifespan. In the last few months, BioAge in-licensed our first two clinical-stage platform assets, and for both programs we’ll be initiating Phase 2 efficacy trials by Q1 2021. Our mission is to develop a pipeline of therapeutic assets that increase healthspan and lifespan.
BioAge’s backers include Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, and other top VC firms at the interface of biotech and data science. The company’s headquarters and lab facilities are located in Richmond, CA and we have employees working on-site or remotely across the US.
About the position:
We are seeking an accomplished, energetic, and detail-oriented leader to join our team as an Associate Director/Director of In Vivo Biology/Pharmacology to push forward our drug discovery efforts. The qualified candidate is a highly motivated, interactive, and team-oriented individual that possesses the ability to work across a highly matrixed environment to provide technical and scientific in vivo expertise to advance drug discovery programs from target identification/validation to IND-enabling activities.
This is a new position at BioAge, and a key role to drive novel target validation and development, as well as provide preclinical support for our clinical-stage programs. The Associate Director/Director of In Vivo Pharmacology will lead and mentor a small group of scientists and technicians responsible for developing and executing our internal in vivo experiments, as well as help manage key relationships and develop detailed experimental plans with an array of external CROs. The candidate will be part of the preclinical leadership team. This is a unique opportunity to be part of a rapidly growing company developing a pipeline of therapies with the potential to enhance healthspan and lifespan in an aging population.
- Leading, managing, and mentoring the internal in vivo team, including vivarium staff
- Managing BioAge’s internal preclinical aging and frailty validation platform
- Developing detailed experimental plans for preclinical CROs as well as for internal investigation
- Developing high quality and reproducible animal models for efficacy and mechanism of action studies of small molecule and biologic therapeutics, in close collaboration with therapeutic area teams, pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, preclinical safety, DMPK, etc
- Assisting with the evaluation, optimization, and management of preclinical CROs
- Oversight of vivarium management and membership in the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
- Contribution to preclinical strategy, vision, and operation
Qualifications, Skills, & Abilities
- DVM or PhD with at least 10 years of drug discovery experience, and at least 3 years in a group leadership and management role.
- At least 5 years experience in a small biotech/biotech startup environment strongly preferred
- Very strong understanding of development of animal models and general physiology in a drug discovery setting
- Enthusiastic mentor and leader with experience managing research scientists
- Highly organized and detail oriented with experience developing and executing on project plans and timelines, as well as budget management
- Extensive experience drafting detailed experimental plans and managing preclinical CROs
- Excellent communicator with exceptional verbal, presentation, and written communication skills
- Excellent working ability across a highly matrixed environment
- Some expertise in aging/and/or age related diseases/disorders in animal models preferred
At BioAge, we pride ourselves in giving employees many opportunities for career development including a generous annual budget for continued learning, a direct and open-door environment, and a dedication to training and skill development. Employees also enjoy competitive pay, generous health and retirement benefits, paid time off, and flexible hours.
Goal-driven -- We say we want to do and we do it
Integrity -- We are driven to provide the field of science answers of the highest quality and replicability
Family -- As part of a small growing biotech startup, you will experience a supporting and caring culture
Innovation -- Innovation defines biotechnology and runs in the veins of all employees at BioAge
Leadership -- We strive to be a leader in the field of aging worldwide