Bolt is a materials company inventing the sustainable textiles and ingredients of the future. Every day we’re inspired by the amazing materials we work with and driven by the desire to turn these materials into incredible products that solve the problems of a resource-constrained world. We are collaborative, driven individuals who love creative problem-solving. We’re always on the lookout for curious, resourceful, and motivated people who want to make a lasting impact. Join a diverse team of engineers, scientists, marketers, and consumer product experts.
We’re Looking For...
Bolt Threads is looking for a hands-on project and process engineer to support the creation, implementation, scale-up, and operation of our biomaterials equipment via a wide variety of projects. The ideal candidate will have strong technical fundamentals, project management skills and practical experience in building and improving manufacturing and piloting technologies to enable efficient company growth. Their browser just might have bookmarks to McMaster, various engineering help sites or their favorite equipment vendors. The candidate will have the experience and skills to safely manage and oversee work on electrical and mechanical systems. They will have a mindset oriented towards flexibility to meet a growing organization’s needs and the ability to work in a fast-paced startup environment. This position will play a key role in an agile project management and engineering team tackling diverse and challenging problems both at the research scale and manufacturing.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll get honest feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
Within the first 30 days you will...
- Get up to speed on the company culture and the projects you will be leading and supporting
- Build an appreciation for the current processes and get to know your colleagues across the company you will be working with to successfully deliver on projects
- Safely rolling up your sleeves at the pilot and manufacturing facility in Overland to understand the inner workings of the process to make our products
- When requested, lead the design or modification of research and process development equipment
- Support and refine prototype equipment to meet owners needs through data analysis and requirement gathering
- Lead custom equipment builds, installations and hand-off to operations and maintenance
- Work with process development to build vendor equipment packages for key manufacturing equipment
- Plan equipment factory acceptance testing alongside vendors
Eventually, the Work will Expand to...
- Manage capital and manufacturing improvement projects where you will be responsible to deliver the project on time, on budget and meets capability objectives through effective project management practices, process engineering and leading through influence
- Manage vendors and contractors to deliver their scope of projects and hold them accountable ranging from small fabrication to capital equipment and facility design/build
- Stakeholder communication of projects via project summary and status reports
- Work alongside the Process Development team to build and deliver on quality process engineering deliverables including but not limited to:
- Functional specifications
- Process maps
- Process descriptions
- Cycle maps and IE models
- Process models
- Collaborate with research, process development, manufacturing and facilities teams to identify needs and prioritize projects
- Be a safety leader and example for the team and deliver on key safety deliverables such as process safety and hazard reviews
- Lead and support design reviews and drive actions to completion
- Plan and Execute equipment factory and site acceptance testing alongside vendors
- Ensure there is a smooth handoff from project team to owners such as providing instructions and training support to researchers, technicians and operators
- Innovate, improve processes and standardize alongside the engineering and process development teams
- Documentation and maintenance of current standards and best practices
- Works with engineering team, plants and vendors to ensure compliance with government and engineering standards
- Support cross functional teams as well as interact with all levels of internal customers and external vendors
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring...
- B.S in engineering or a related discipline with at least 5 years of relevant experience
- Experience working in a manufacturing or fast-paced process development/piloting environment
- The ability and experience to work with a team to create and implement novel solutions to solve technical problems
- Experience leading, managing, and executing design/build projects, with proven ability to translate engineering goals into solutions that meet scope, schedule, and cost objectives
- Experience with using engineering software to develop designs and schematics
- Understanding and appreciation of industrial controls and electrical systems:
- Electromechanical components such as valves, linear actuators, and motors/VFDs
- Controls networks including serial communication (RS-232, RS-485), analog signals, and digital I/O
- Proficiency reading and editing detailed process, electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment while practicing sound judgment
- Critical and creative thinking skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and organizational skills
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 20% time
- Experience managing contractors/vendors to deliver on a variety of capital projects
- Experience with custom equipment builds, installations and hand-off to operations and maintenance