Are you curious, driven, and collaborative? Do you want to work at one of the most innovative and impactful biotech companies in the bay area? We were voted Method of the Year 2019 Nature Methods and #2 on the Scientist 2018 Top 10 innovations list. Join us in our mission to enable researchers and clinicians to accelerate the discovery, development, and delivery of precision medicine.
Mission Bio is a start-up providing the best-in-class solution for single-cell genomics across the range of research and translational/clinical medicine. We are a small team that is growing rapidly, so this is an opportunity for a talented, driven individual to make a significant impact on the direction and success of an exciting young company. We are committed to diversity. If you are a collaborative, curious, hardworking professional who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic, supportive environment, we would love to meet you.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned)
In this role, you will head up a team of computational biologist to analyze some of the largest multi-omics single cell data sets in the world to find biological signals and patterns to guide our assay development and build new methods for future products. You will work with diverse teams including software, research, product development, and external collaborators. Your work will result in foundational single cell assays and methods which will be used to gain new insights in cancer biology for decades to come.
- Lead, develop, and manage a team of computational biologist
- Passion to solve biological problems and identify problems that can be efficiently solved through computational methods and algorithms
- Experience working closely with bench scientists to solve complex biological problems
- Be a key contributor to the planning and direction of a project and effectively prioritize goals
- Lead discussions at peer review and uses quantitative skills to positively influence decision making
- Effectively explain technical concepts at all levels in the organization, including senior managers/stakeholders
- Lead, or makes major contributions to, improvements in methodology or initiatives to address capability gaps or increase efficiency
What’s Required (QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE)
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Statistics, Biological Sciences, Cancer Biology, Genetics, Genomics, Computer Science, Physics, or equivalent preparation and experience
- Demonstrated ability to manage computational biology teams, provide technical leadership, and lead and contribute to cross functional projects
- Proven track record of contributions demonstrated by highly cited publications, impactful tools, products, or data sets used by the scientific community, presentations at international conferences, and awards
- Must-have 7 years relevant experience in positions of increasing responsibility
- Deep understanding of modern statistical and machine learning tools for analysis of genomics datasets
- Demonstrated expertise in at least one programming language (R, Python, Go, C++)
- Proficiency in Linux environment, version control tools, and reproducible research practices
- Technical leadership and self-direction, willingness to both teach others and learn new techniques
- Effective written and verbal communication skills