Tinctorium is an Oakland-based startup that is making the world of colors more sustainable via microbial fermentation, starting with denim dyeing. We’re looking for scientists excited about building something new and disrupting an industry. We are hiring a highly motivated Research Associate to help improve our strain for high production of our small molecule product. You will be part of a core team of scientists working to engineer microbial strains and scale fermentation processes to develop more sustainable dyes.
● Work closely with Strain Engineering Scientist to design and build strains to optimize production of targeted molecules.
● Design and execute library-based screening assays for protein engineering experiments.
● Perform wet-lab experiments in microtiter plates and shake flasks to improve strain metrics.
● Keep organized and detailed documentation. Develop SOPs for documentation and knowledge transfer.
● Present data to and communicate effectively with other team members.
*All new hires are required to go through a background and reference check
*Tinctorium does not currently offer sponsorship or consideration to those on an H1-B or other similar visas at this time
● BS in molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, bioengineering, or other related field preferred.
● Proficient in molecular biology/genetic engineering benchwork.
● Biology/biochemistry lab experience
● Independent, self-motivated worker with strong project management skills.
● Detail-oriented, keeps thorough and accurate documentation.
● Clear and proactive communicator, written and verbal.
● Enthusiasm for working in a fast-paced, multidisciplinary startup team environment.
● Bonus points for interest in denim, sustainability, and/or fashion.