Analytical Chemistry Research Associate I at Lygos
Berkeley, CA, US
Lygos is a synthetic biology company developing novel microbial technologies for the fermentative production of commodity and specialty chemicals. Lygos identifies expensive, environmentally hazardous, and harmful chemical and petrochemical production processes used today and develops safe, renewable routes to manufacture the same products. Lygos is seeking to hire a skilled Analytical Chemistry Research Associate to support its needs to analyze samples and maintain instrumentation for a variety of products.
Lygos is seeking an analytical chemistry research associate candidate to set up, run, clean, and maintain HPLC instruments. The successful candidate will have experience with general lab procedures, data interpretation, and reporting in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Execute analytical methods including: sample, standard, and mobile phase preparation, HPLC operation, HPLC calibration, data analysis, and data entry.
- Collaborate with the metabolic engineering team, fermentation team, and downstream processing team to ensure that results and conclusions are communicated clearly.
- General lab work (e.g. preparation and cleanup of experimental equipment, pipetting, sample processing).
- Perform data analysis and engage in technical discussions about analytical results + methods.
- Troubleshoot analytical equipment as needed, and resolve equipment issues efficiently to minimize equipment downtime.
Education and Experience
- B.S. degree in chemistry or related field
- 0 - 3 years analytical experience in an industrial or academic setting
- Experienced with general lab procedures, data interpretation, and reporting
- Demonstrated attention to detail and quality
- Energetic + creative team player, comfortable in a fast-paced, multitasking environment
Secondary Knowledge and Skill Considerations
- Experience operating + maintaining LCs or GCs is preferred.
- Strength in maintenance + repair of LCs is highly preferred.
- Experience developing analytical methods is preferred.
- Experience with other analytical instrumentation is a plus.
Lygos offers a competitive total compensation package including an employee incentive stock option plan. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, paid holidays and vacation time.
Lygos is an equal opportunity employer.