Director, Quantitative Biology
As a member of the Biology group, the Director will join a dynamic and highly motivated team driving the discovery, characterization and development of immuno-modulatory drugs. The job demands a thorough understanding of small molecule drug discovery from hit identification through clinical candidate selection. As a key member of the group, the successful applicant will lead several scientists in development, optimization and execution of new biochemical and cell-based assays to support our internal drug discovery programs. This position requires working collaboratively with others across Biology, DMPK and Medicinal Chemistry. The Director is expected to contribute at both the applied (technical) and strategic levels. A strong candidate will be enthusiastic about supporting the operation of a dynamic laboratory, have great attention to detail, superior organizational skills, and a concern for development of our up-and-coming scientists.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A Ph.D. with a minimum of 12 years of industry experience, or B.S. with 20+ years of experience.
- Extensive history of cell-based and/or biochemical assay development, optimization and troubleshooting in an automated laboratory environment.
- Experience and interest in managing and mining our database of SAR supporting data.
- Deep knowledge of principles of receptor pharmacology and/or enzymology.
- Experience in a pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical drug discovery environment.
- Experience contributing to IND or CTA filings for new clinical candidates.
- A strong record of publications in a relevant scientific discipline.
- Strong desire to develop novel therapies that will prolong the lives of people with cancer and improve the quality of life for people with inflammatory diseases.
- Eligibility to work in the United States.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Ensuring proper quality control of SAR data and optimum efficiency in SAR assay cascades
- Acting as subject matter expert for in vitro pharmacology and enzymology
- Guiding biology team members through assay design, development, optimization and automation
- Acting as one of several administrators of our Dotmatics database
- Contributing to strategy of RAPT at the project as well as the portfolio level
The role demands a highly goal-driven approach and the ability to focus on time-sensitive objectives. The candidate should also enjoy operating in an exceptionally dynamic and cooperative environment where every voice matters.
Particular consideration will be given to candidates with a strong working knowledge of immunology, oncology, or other human disease field.
RAPT Therapeutics is an exciting company founded on the vision of creating new therapeutics through the innovative application of unexploited insights in immunology. The company was formed by a group of seasoned researchers from the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries, supported by two of the nation’s premier life sciences venture capital firms. We are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, in the heart of the world’s largest biotechnology research hub. RAPT Therapeutics offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including aggressive participation in the growth of the company in the form of stock option grants.