Lygos is a synthetic biology company developing novel microbial technologies for the fermentative production of commodity and specialty chemicals. Lygos identifies expensive, environmentally hazardous, and harmful chemical and petrochemical production processes used today and develop safe, renewable routes to highly functional performance chemicals. Our flagship product is malonic acid and its malonate derivatives with promising new applications in a range of reactive polymer systems. Lygos is currently seeking a Polymer Applications Engineer who will be responsible for process development of new bio-derived materials. The position will be located at our facility in Berkeley, CA and report to the Associate Director, Product Development. This role will focus on developing new application spaces and growth opportunities in addition to supporting existing strategic partners in their end-market applications. The successful candidate will possess extensive knowledge of polymer processing and conversion technologies as it relates to meeting the chemical, physical and mechanical properties required in the final application. Lygos is looking for a dynamic candidate to lead this exciting opportunity!
- Develop and optimize polymer or resin formulations and associated processing and conversion conditions.
- Characterize the thermal and mechanical properties of new polymers using accepted methods specific to targeted end-user applications.
- Working with the business team, engage customers in applying and qualifying new applications using a well-structured stage-gate approach.
- Translate unmet customer needs or pain points and realize the growth potential of Lygos product portfolio through successful customer adoption.
- Develop technical datasheets, application guides and related materials to support translation and wider adoption of new Lygos products.
- Assist with developing intellectual property focused on white space matching technical capabilities with market needs, working closely with internal IP team.
- Communicate and present developments to technical and trade audiences.
- MS or BS in polymer science or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience in polymer development preferably in reactive CASE applications and extrusion.
- Expertise in relevant polymer characterization techniques (TGA, DSC, DMA, FTIR, NIR) as well as rheology and cure kinetics control and measurement.
- Demonstrated experience in polymer formulation and polymer processing and conversion processes such as extrusion, molding, coating and foaming.
- Demonstrated track record of translating new polymers and formulations into the commercial setting.
- Strong self-starter and hands-on initiative.
- Strong communication, both written and verbal, with the ability to tailor the message for different audiences.
- Strong commitment and interest in leveraging biotechnology solutions to improve performance and safety profile of incumbent petrochemical solutions.
- Ability to travel at least 30% of the time as required for customer visits/trials.
Lygos offers a competitive total compensation packages including an employee incentive stock option plan. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, paid holidays and vacation time.