Whole Biome is an early-stage, venture-backed biotech located in San Francisco. We are a small team of scientists, engineers and physicians interested in improving human health by using the latest research from diverse fields, such as, microbiology, molecular biology, high-throughput genomics, distributed computing, pharmaceutical development and nutrition sciences.
We are currently seeking a Senior Research Associate to join Whole Biome’s Manufacturing Team. This person will be part of the Microbiology team and will be responsible for working with a team of microbiologists to culture, harvest and encapsulate Whole Biome’s proprietary medical food products. Additionally, this person will have the opportunity to work with the Molecular Biology, Compute and Medical Teams to supporting and enable the discovery and development of novel, life-changing microbiome interventions. The successful candidate will need to be able to learn new systems quickly and adapt to changing needs as Whole Biome rapidly expands capabilities in terms of projects and processes. The ideal candidate has experience in optimizing large scale anaerobic bacteria growth while maintaining high viability to support numerous studies.
- Own day-to-day operations in cGMP facilities.
- Weekly setup, running, and tear down of a bank of fermentors, including work in off hours
- Prepare media, clean and sterilize equipment
- Operate manufacturing lab equipment, including anaerobic chambers, bioreactors, benchtop and floor centrifuges, and lyophilizers.
- Schedule and follow up with 3rd party Service Engineers on preventive maintenance of lab equipment
- Support production scale-ups and the commercialization of new products.
- Assist scientists in product and process development and improvements.
- Manage and organize assay workflows, draft protocols, and support lab operations.
- Independently execute biochemical and molecular biology experiments and use in-house software tools to analyze data.
- Characterize formulations through analytical and physiological testing.
- Work with Compute team to improve and enhance software tools for lab processes.
- Present in lab meetings.
This is a dynamic, start-up environment that requires an individual with adaptability, ingenuity, independent drive, and a passion for improving patient care.
- B.S. or M.S. in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biology, or related field with 2-3 years working experience.
- Familiarity with a variety of bench scale fermentation units like Applikon, Solaris, New Brunswick (Eppendorf), Sartorius, DASGIP.
- Required experience in aseptic techniques used in microbiology
- Required experience in anaerobic growth of bacteria and medium optimization.
- Required experience with developing/writing SOPs, documenting and tracking lot numbers and using lab management systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and be a fully contributing member of a multi-functional fast-paced team environment
- Experience in working as part of a team to design, develop, optimize and validate assays.
- Experience in implementing and prioritizing work across multiple projects under tight time constraints.
- Comfort (and preferably experience) in handling human and animal samples, including stool, skin and blood.
- Detail oriented and organized (understanding the basics of 5S and Lean Six Sigma).
- Familiar with Excel, Word and Google apps
- Ability to stand for long periods of time in a laboratory setting and lift 50 pounds.
- Proactive communicator.
Email with your resume and cover letter to begin the application process. Even if you don't see an opening that fits you, please send us your resume if you think your background and personality would be a great fit!
- competitive salary and equity packages
- health, dental, and vision
- 401k with corporate matching
- flexible schedules with a focus on work/life balance
- unlimited vacation policy (we're all adults and professionals, not clockwatchers)
- commuter benefits
- casual culture (66% of founders usually wearing hoodies)
- on-site gym
- work/life balance: we believe it, we encourage it, we live it
- collaborative, team environment
- off-site, team building adventures
- walking distance to Caltrain, Muni
- walking distance to bars and restaurants in Dogpatch