At Bolt Threads, we believe that answers to our most vexing problems can be found in nature. Every day we’re inspired by the amazing materials we work with, and driven by the desire to turn these materials into incredible products. We are a venture backed, idea driven company, led by world-class scientific and engineering talent, as well as experienced executives from the technology and apparel industries.
We’re Looking For...
The Special Projects team at Bolt Threads is aimed at amplifying the reach, potential and creative uses of our biomaterials platform. Our work ranges from new means of production, compelling prototype fabrication and consumer product development that demonstrate the unique properties of our materials. A successful candidate comes with a broad range of skills that cross domains like mechanical and electrical engineering, consumer product development, design, soft goods, digital and hands-on fabrication and great communication skills. This role is ideally suited for someone who thrives on intellectual challenges, collaborating with an equally curious team, and paving new ground through hands-on experimentation.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll get honest feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
- You will conceive and carry out experiments and prototypes that broaden the understanding of our biomaterials applications in consumer products
- You will develop and refine our raw materials for use in consumer products
- You will design and fabricate hard and soft goods prototypes in our new product development studio
- You will use your programming skills to build prototypes for rapid soft goods design and development workflows
- You will collaborate with our scientists and biologists to achieve the most desirable material properties by providing processing feedback
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring...
- At least 3 years experience developing new technologies
- Bachelors or Masters degree in an engineering, design, or related field
- Digital fabrication experience including CNC machining, laser cutting and 3D printing
- Manual fabrication experience including metal lathe, mill, hand tools and composite layup
- Exposure to automation and motion control equipment
- Proficiency in at least one programming language
- Strong 3D modeling skills (Solidworks, Rhino3D, Fusion360)
- Ability to travel up to 15% of the time