FLX Bio is a biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of novel drugs that will improve and prolong the lives of people with cancer. The company is led by a group of seasoned researchers from the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries and is supported by several of the nation’s premier life sciences venture capital firms. The company is located in the San Francisco Bay area, in the heart of the world’s largest biotechnology research hub. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, including aggressive participation in the growth of the company in the form of stock option grants.
REPORTING TO: Chief Operating Officer of FLX
FLX Bio, Inc. is an immuno-oncology company focused on the discovery and development of orally-available, small molecule drugs to activate the immune system and eradicate cancer. Using its integrated immuno-oncology drug discovery platform, FLX Bio’s small molecule compounds specifically target proteins and pathways important for regulatory T cells or myeloid cells within the tumor microenvironment. Its lead candidate FLX475, a best-in-class CCR4 inhibitor, entered Phase 1 studies in December 2017 and has the potential to be used alone or in combination with checkpoint inhibitors to treat a variety of cancers. The company employs a precision medicine strategy for prospective patient selection in clinical studies, applying its robust computational and translational biology capabilities to identify key biomarkers that should maximize clinical response and increase the probability of clinical success. In addition, FLX is developing small molecule inhibitors of GCN2, a stress response kinase that detects amino acid starvation in the tumor microenvironment, and USP7, a therapeutic target involved in multiple cancer pathways.
Located in South San Francisco, Calif., and funded by leading investors, including The Column Group (TCG), Kleiner Perkins (KP), Topspin Partners, GV (formerly Google Ventures) and Celgene Corporation, FLX Bio has assembled a leadership team and advisory group with a proven track record of success and team of scientists with substantial knowledge and expertise in drug discovery and translational areas essential to execute on this approach. For more information, please visit www.flxbio.com.
Reporting to the COO, this role will work closely with cross functional partners and the executive management team to advance initiatives that support the corporate vision and goals. These initiatives include, sell-side activities, buy-side activities and corporate strategy projects. This individual will also drive the business development process externally with biopharmaceutical companies targeting out-licensing discussions, opportunistic efforts to license/acquire key therapeutic assets, R&D collaborations, and related enabling collaborations.
• Partner with COO, CEO and internal stakeholders to develop and implement FLX’s partnering strategy
• Source and assess new in-licensing and out-licensing partnership opportunities
• Participate in negotiations with prospective partners, and management of future alliances once formed
• Identify, evaluate, and participate in negotiating agreements to access promising therapeutics and technologies
• Maintain contacts and relationships related to external opportunities consistent with company strategy
• Be the specific disease area knowledge owner by understanding treatment paradigm, new and emerging therapeutics, competitive landscape
• Attend scientific and medical conferences to stay abreast of new developments
• Identify, develop and nurture scientific and business relationships within biopharmaceutical companies, academia, and other stakeholders
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry, management consulting or venture capital with a focus on pharma/biotech; MBA preferred
• Strong understanding of drug discovery and development, preferably in oncology
• Proven leadership and influencing skills
• Excellent analytical skills
• Excellent communication skills – ability to clearly and effectively communicate to a broad range of audiences
• High energy, passion for drug discovery and development and an entrepreneurial spirit – ability to work in fast-paced environment
• Ability to build partnerships across the organization and wholeheartedly embrace FLX Bio’s collaborative culture
• Ability to prioritize multiple projects to meet business needs
• A strategic thinker with outstanding business instincts who can help chart the course and translate into actionable, value-creating results for the company
• Ability and willingness to travel
• Energetic, resourceful self-starter with high integrity, strong executive presence and the ability to work effectively in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment