Microbial Engineering Research Associate at Caribou Biosciences
Berkeley, CA, US
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a leading company in CRISPR genome engineering located in Berkeley, CA. Caribou's tools and technologies provide transformative capabilities to therapeutic development, agricultural biotechnology, industrial biotechnology, and basic and applied biological research. The five-year-old company has developed a best-in-class CRISPR genome engineering technology platform and has a leading intellectual property position. The company currently has a strategic partnership with Genus plc (agriculture) and has co-founded a human therapeutics company, Intellia Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: NTLA).
We are seeking an experienced Research Associate to join our Microbial Engineering group. Ideal attributes include a desire to learn and develop new methods and a passion for working in interdisciplinary teams. This individual must be able to communicate effectively in formal and informal settings, and will interact closely with Scientists and other RAs to support microbial culture and microbial engineering activities.
Responsibilities will include:
• Culturing, characterizing, and transforming multiple microbial species
• Validating and optimizing genomic engineering protocols for multiple microbial species
• Preparing media, making competent cells, and maintaining equipment
• Designing experiments in conjunction with scientists across functional groups
• Coordinating with others to plan workflow
• Compiling data to support/contribute to technical reports
Candidate must possess:
• B.Sc. or equivalent in Microbiology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Synthetic Biology, Microbial Ecology or a related field
• Minimum of 2 years of experience working in a biotech or pharmaceutical company
• Experience performing, validating, and optimizing microbial engineering protocols (lambda red recombination, CRISPR, transposons, etc.)
• Strong working knowledge of genetic and metabolic pathway databases
• A strong desire to learn and to solve problems
• Strong organizational, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills
• M.Sc. or equivalent in Microbiology, Bioengineering, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Synthetic Biology, Microbial Ecology or a related field
• Experience working with anaerobic microbes, and/or with phage
• Experience with techniques for analyzing communities of microbes (16S, whole genome sequencing, RNAseq)
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a dynamic start-up company, and the successful candidate must have the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment. For more information, please visit www.cariboubio.com. Caribou is on Twitter @CaribouBio.
Caribou offers a comprehensive compensation package, as well as generous paid time off in addition to Company-observed holidays. The Company provides medical, dental, and vision insurance, along with a 401(k) retirement savings plan which includes matching employer contributions. Caribou promotes a culture in which employees are respected and rewarded for hard work, innovation, personal initiative, and teamwork.
Caribou is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (as defined under California law), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law. In addition, Caribou prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Direct applicants only. No agencies please.