Microbial Engineering Scientist at Caribou Biosciences
Berkeley, CA, US
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a leading company in CRISPR genome engineering located in Berkeley, CA. Caribou's tools and technologies provide transformative capabilities to therapeutic development, agricultural biotechnology, industrial biotechnology, and basic and applied biological research. The four-year-old company has developed a best-in-class CRISPR genome engineering technology platform and has a leading intellectual property position. The company currently has a strategic partnership with Genus plc (agriculture) and has co-founded a human therapeutics company, Intellia Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: NTLA).
We are seeking a Scientist to join our Microbial Engineering group. This individual will work directly with Caribou scientists and external collaborators to develop methods for engineering microbes and microbial communities with the goal of improving existing therapeutic strategies. The ideal candidate will have independently designed and implemented rigorous research projects and prioritized multiple concurrent projects. Ideal attributes include a desire to learn and develop new methods and a passion for working in interdisciplinary teams. This individual must be able to communicate effectively in formal and informal settings. Candidates from various microbial backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities will include:
• Independent management of multiple parallel microbial engineering research projects
• Development of novel protocols and methods for culturing and analyzing mixed microbial communities
• Implementation of appropriate statistical controls and analyses
• Development of high-throughput assays for genetically engineering microbes
• Presentation of results to internal scientists, external collaborators, and Caribou management
• Provision of input on overall experimental strategy and direction
• Maintenance of close coordination with team members
Candidate must possess:
• A PhD in microbiology, microbial genetics, microbial ecology, or similar fields
• At least three years’ experience between postdoctoral or industry research
• Strong proficiency in microbial engineering (some combination of lambda red recombination, CRISPR, cloning, screening strategies, or high-throughput assay development)
• Some combination of experience with obligate anaerobes; culturing mixed communities; the gut microbiota; or microbe interactions with host, phage, or environment
• Experience working with bacterial strains other than E. coli
• A detailed understanding of genetic and metabolic pathway databases
• Detailed knowledge of the genetics and culturing of common human gut microbes is highly desirable
• Experience with computational tools analyzing communities of microbes (16S, whole genome sequencing, transcriptome sequencing, RNAseq) is highly desirable
• Experience working with microfluidics, or analyzing bacteria on flow cytometry, is desirable
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a dynamic start-up company, and the successful candidate must have the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment. For more information, please visit www.cariboubio.com. Caribou is on Twitter @CaribouBio.
Caribou offers a comprehensive compensation package, as well as generous paid time off in addition to Company-observed holidays. The Company provides medical, dental, and vision insurance, along with a 401(k) retirement savings plan which includes matching employer contributions. Caribou promotes a culture in which employees are respected and rewarded for hard work, innovation, personal initiative, and teamwork.
Caribou is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (as defined under California law), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law. In addition, Caribou prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Direct applicants only. No agencies please.