At Bolt Threads, we believe that answers to our most vexing problems can be found in nature. Every day we’re inspired by the amazing materials we work with, and driven by the desire to turn these materials into incredible products. We are a venture backed, idea driven company, led by world-class scientific and engineering talent, as well as experienced executives from the technology and apparel industries.
We’re Looking For...
Bolt Threads is looking for an experienced hands-on engineer to support the creation, implementation, scale-up, and operation of our biomaterials equipment. The ideal candidate will have strong technical fundamentals and practical experience in the design and build of custom instrumentation and control systems. They will have the experience and skills to work and design safely with electrical and mechanical systems. The candidate will have a mindset oriented towards flexibility to meet a growing organization’s needs and the ability to work in a fast-paced startup environment. This position will play a key role in an agile engineering team tackling diverse and challenging problems.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll get honest feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them.
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
Within the first 30 days you will…
- Support custom equipment builds and installations including configuration, control panel wiring, and mechanical component assembly.
- Participate in safety reviews and actively work to maintain a culture of safety in the workplace.
- Use CAD software to develop designs and schematics for automation equipment and fixtures.
- Support and refine prototype equipment through data analysis and modify or adjust equipment to meet user needs.
In the first 60 days you will…
- Lead the integration of sensors and controls into custom-made research, process development, and manufacturing equipment.
- Support and lead cross functional teams as well as interact with all levels of internal customers and external vendors.
- Provide instruction and training support to researchers and technicians.
- Collaborate with research, process development, manufacturing and facilities teams to identify needs and prioritize projects.
- Develop and maintain engineering documentation such as PFDs, P&IDs, electrical diagrams, SOPs and other documents as required.
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring...
- The ability and experience to create novel equipment to solve technical problems.
- B.S. in engineering or a related discipline with 5 or more years of relevant experience.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of industrial controls and electrical systems:
- Proficiency integrating electromechanical components such as valves, linear actuators, and motors/VFDs
- Configuration of controls networks including serial communication (RS-232, RS-422, RS-485), analog signals, and digital I/O
- Proficiency selecting appropriate circuit protectors, wire and cable, sensors, and safety hardware
- Proficiency reading and creating detailed process, electrical, pneumatic and fluid schematics in CAD.
- Proficiency with CAD software for 3D design (Solidworks or Fusion 360 preferred).
- Experience executing design/build projects, with proven ability to translate engineering goals into solutions that meet scope, schedule, and cost objectives.
- Critical and creative thinking skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and organizational skills; Must be able to multitask.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume environment, while practicing sound judgment.
- Experience working in a lab or scientific environment preferred.
- Experience in a variety of machining and fabrication methods and use of hand and power tools preferred.