At Bolt Threads, we believe that answers to our most vexing problems can be found in nature. Every day, we’re inspired by the amazing materials we work with and driven by the desire to turn these materials into incredible products. We are a venture-backed, idea-driven company, led by world-class scientific and engineering talent, as well as experienced executives from the technology and apparel industries.
We’re Looking For...
A Lab Operations Manager to lead the management of the Emeryville Labs for Bolt Threads. This person will be responsible for maintaining, and managing the maintenance of equipment and services across 10 different labs and 3 different facilities. To be successful, this person must be able to balance the day-to-day operational needs of the labs with longer-term, strategic initiatives to improve our operational efficiency. This person will need to identify and work with relevant stakeholders to influence and engage the lab teams in process improvements.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll get honest feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them.
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
Within the first 30 days you will...
- Learn the core lab activities and equipment and develop stakeholder relationships across research teams.
- Perform a gap analysis on lab equipment servicing and maintenance. Develop a plan to close any gaps and sustain ongoing maintenance using internal and vendor resources.
- Take over management of our ULS contract including on-site personnel for supply stocking, glass-wash, and autoclave operations.
- Learn to navigate the software we use to support lab operations (StockBoss, Upkeep, Qooling and Chemicalsafety.com) and identify opportunities for consolidation across the different platforms.
In the first 60 days you will…
- Implement a tracking and management solution for lab maintenance and calibration.
- Develop a prioritized project list for lab operations improvements with a timeline for proposed implementation.
- Streamline and lead process for identification, review, commissioning and decommissioning of new lab equipment (while collaborating closely with Facilities, Engineering, EHS, and Procurement).
- Establish an equipment owner for all critical or high-risk lab equipment and create a program for training and standard operating procedure (SOP) development.
- Audit supply stocks and work with ULS and Purchasing Specialist to implement improvements.
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring...
- 2+ years of lab operations or related experience.
- A bachelor’s degree or above, preferably with a science degree.
- An understanding of biological and chemical lab processes and equipment. Experience with machine/electrical shop environments a plus.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, able to work in an independent and self-directed manner but also collaborate with project partners.
- A positive attitude, and solution-oriented, hands-on work style.
- A safety mindset and a passion for championing safety across our research activities.
- A demonstrated ability to manage time and balance multiple projects.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances and company needs in order to thrive in a start-up environment.
- Willingness to respond to off-hours emergencies.