At Bolt Threads, we believe that answers to our most vexing problems can be found in nature. Every day we’re inspired by the amazing materials we work with and driven by the desire to turn these materials into incredible products. We are a venture backed, idea driven company, led by world-class scientific and engineering talent, as well as experienced executives from the technology and apparel industries.
We’re Looking For...
Bolt is seeking a detail-oriented, enthusiastic technician to join the operations group, and support our efforts to design, produce, and characterize novel biomaterials at pilot scale. You are excited by science and technology, love to learn how to do new things, and are curious about how things work. You will work closely with researchers within the group to learn how to perform key lab functions. You learn quickly, pay attention to what you’re doing, and don’t make the same mistake twice. The scope of your work will expand from routine to more complex tasks as you develop new skills and build an understanding of what you’re doing.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll get honest feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
Within the first 30 days…
- You will learn safety protocols for operating in a laboratory environment
- You will learn the procedures on how to operate equipment to complete experiments
Within the first 60 days…
- You will independently perform tasks supporting experiments (growing mycelia and completing downstream processing for non-animal leather alternative) based on written protocols and the guidance of operations team.
- You will operate lab instrumentation to collect data, and organize the results
- You will identify and coordinate minor maintenance on equipment
- You will troubleshoot challenges or unexpected behaviors during data collection
- You will help maintain lab inventory, cleanliness, and organization
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring...
- Keen attention to detail, with an emphasis on accurate work
- Ability to identify problems, solve them or escalate to manager when required
- Responsiveness to feedback
- General math and computer skills (data entry, task tracking and organization, calculations in Excel)
- Ability to work on your feet for 80% of your time, and ability to lift 40 pounds
It would be valuable to have any of the following but not necessary…
- Associate degree or college science classes
- Formal experience with sterile processing