At Bolt Threads, we believe that answers to our most vexing problems can be found in nature. Every day we’re inspired by the amazing materials we work with, and driven by the desire to turn these materials into incredible products. We are a venture backed, idea driven company, led by world-class scientific and engineering talent, as well as experienced executives from the technology and apparel industries.
We’re Looking For...
A (Senior) Fermentation Associate to design and execute experiments alongside Fermentation Scientists/Engineers to support our product pipeline. You will work on projects spanning strain optimization and process development to tech transfer and scale up. You are a hands-on individual with experience in running both bench and pilot scale fermentation equipment. You are a critical thinker with the ability to perform data analysis beyond standard process deviations. You are team-oriented and serve as an internal consultant on best practices. You are comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
You’ll be Excited to Come to Work Because…
- You’ll have the ability to make a significant, positive impact on a team, a company, and the world.
- You’ll get honest/candid feedback that’s given in the service of helping us get better at what we do.
- You’ll encounter unique (often ambiguous) challenges, and diverse teams working to solve them
- You’ll find innovative approaches to science, technology, and culture.
Within the first 30 days…
- You will execute fermentation experiments from tank set up to broth harvest.
- You will be trained on standard laboratory procedures and operational logistics.
- You will become proficient with our LIMS system and analytical software tools.
- You will take on responsibilities for general lab duties and equipment maintenance.
- You will familiarize yourself with other functional teams and technical stakeholders within the company.
- You will maintain safe practices at the work environment and demonstrate best laboratory practices.
Within the first 60 days…
- You will independently execute different fermentation processes with high accuracy.
- You will design and analyze experiments with guidance from fermentation scientists.
- You will present your experimental results to the fermentation team.
- You will actively participate in technical meetings.
- You will familiarize with scale-up fermentation equipment and logistics.
- You will identify opportunities to improve operational quality and efficiency.
This Team will be Excited to Have You Because You Bring...
- 3+ years fermentation experience in industrial setting
- B.S. chemical engineering, bioengineering, biology or equivalent
- Hands on experience with bench and/or pilot scale bioreactors
- Ability to troubleshoot fermentations and take corrective actions
- Experience with general lab procedures, sterile technique, data interpretation, and reporting
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, and collaboration
- Strong organizational skills and proven ability to manage details
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Safety mindset