Lygos is an industrial biotechnology company developing new technologies for the fermentative production of bio-chemicals. We are working to replace expensive, environmentally hazardous, and harmful petrochemical production processes used today with safe, renewable routes using engineered microbes.
Lygos is currently seeking a Bioinformatician who will lead efforts to maximize value derived from omics data on our engineered yeast strains. This role will apply bioinformatic and statistical methods to problems in synthetic biology and metabolic engineering. The successful applicant will be expected to advance critical aspects of Lygos’ R&D processes through both effective individual and team efforts. Lygos is looking for talented candidates to lead this impactful and highly collaborative opportunity!
- Work in close collaboration with team to conceive, plan, implement and successfully put into production automated pipelines to process data from genomic sequencing, transcriptomics, proteomics and metabolomics.
- Improve accessibility of omics data across the Biology Department.
- Perform hypothesis driven research and analysis on omics data to select targets for future strain engineering.
- Collaborate with Lygos’ R&D team, including strain engineering, fermentation, analytical chemistry, and downstream processing groups, to improve the design and analysis of experiments.
- Help to stay abreast of and implement best practices for omics data analysis.
- Prepare technical reports and documentation
- May also be expected to mentor or supervise junior bioinformaticians, data analysts, or statisticians
- There will remain significant time and opportunity to also participate in many other aspects of Lygos’ technical efforts, including: strain engineering, systems biology, machine learning, software development and other areas of technology development. The Lygos team works closely with all employees to support career development and facilitate the learning of new skill sets.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Must meet one of the following:
- B.S. or B.A. or higher in computer science, bioinformatics, or statistics and 2+ years of relevant experience
- B.S or B.A. and 4+ years of relevant experience
- Strong understanding of statistics
- Experience implementing pipelines for the analysis of omics data
- Proficient with either R or Python
- Proficient with relational databases and SQL
- Comfortable in a Unix based environment
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, creative problem solving, collaborations with others.
- Strong organization skills and proven ability to manage details.
- Energetic, creative, team player.
Secondary Knowledge and Skill Considerations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of molecular biology, metabolic modeling, or systems biology
- Experience with design of experiments
- Ability to deliver on projects and assignments within timeframes and budgets.
Lygos offers a competitive total compensation packages including an employee incentive stock option plan. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, paid holidays and vacation time.