The successful applicant will serve as a synthetic biologist, developing systems for dynamically controlling pathway expression in yeast. Design, modeling, strain construction, strain characterization, protocol development, and exploratory research will be necessary elements of the successful applicant’s duties. The successful applicant will be expected to advance critical aspects of Lygos’ strain engineering program through both effective individual and team efforts. Research objectives are milestone driven (biocatalyst yield and productivity) and require workflows directed toward achieving these milestones.
- Work in close collaboration with team to conceive, plan, design and successfully complete projects to generate desired temporal expression profiles for specific homologous or heterologous pathways of the host strain.
- Prepare technical reports, quantitative analyses, protocols and scientific presentations.
- Close collaboration with all aspects of Lygos’ team, including metabolic engineering, bioinformatics, analytical chemistry, and fermentation groups to interpret data and find creative solutions to problems.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of advances in synthetic biology and yeast strain engineering.
- Work with synthetic biology and metabolic engineering teams to develop strain, expression system, pathway, and method-related intellectual property.
- May also be expected to supervise Research Assistants.
- There will remain significant time and opportunity to also participate in many other aspects of Lygos’ technical efforts, including: protein engineering, high-throughput screening, bioinformatics, and other areas of technology development. The Lygos team works closely with all employees to support career development and facilitate the learning of new skill sets.
- Energetic, creative, team player.
- Ph.D. or Masters (with >2 years of relevant experience post-Masters) with an emphasis on synthetic biology or yeast metabolic engineering.
- Proficient with genetic engineering bench work.
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaborations with others.
- Strong organization skills and proven ability to manage details.
SECONDARY KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL CONSIDERATIONS
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to model and analyze genetic circuits with ordinary differential equations.
- Experience with RNA-seq data processing and analysis workflows.
- Ability to deliver on projects and assignments within timeframes and budgets.
- Experience performing research and technology development in an industrial setting a plus.
Lygos offers a competitive total compensation packages including an employee incentive stock option plan. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, paid holidays and vacation time.