Lygos is an industrial biotechnology company developing new technologies for the fermentative production of bio-chemicals. We are working to replace expensive, environmentally hazardous, and harmful petrochemical production processes used today with safe, renewable routes using engineered microbes.
Lygos is currently seeking a Data Scientist who will take the lead in establishing machine learning methods that will improve our R&D processes. This role will apply statistics and machine learning methods to problems in synthetic biology and metabolic engineering. The successful applicant will be expected to advance critical aspects of Lygos’ R&D processes through both effective individual and team efforts. Lygos is looking for talented candidates to lead this exciting opportunity!
- Work in close collaboration with team to conceive, plan, implement and successfully put into production machine learning models that predict metabolite production levels from genotype.
- Data preparation, analysis, model building, visualization and automation of these tasks.
- Collaborate with Lygos’ R&D team, including strain engineering, fermentation, analytics, and downstream processing groups, to improve the design and analysis of experiments.
- Help to stay abreast of and implement best practices for machine learning, data analysis and experimental design.
- Prepare technical reports and documentation
- May also be expected to mentor or supervise junior data analysts or statisticians
- There will remain significant time and opportunity to also participate in many other aspects of Lygos’ technical efforts, including: computational and systems biology, software development and other areas of technology development. The Lygos team works closely with all employees to support career development and facilitate the learning of new skill sets.
Education and Experience Requirements
- B.S. or higher in computer science, bioinformatics, or statistics and 2+ years of relevant experience or Ph.D.
- Significant experience solving regression problems using machine learning
- Knowledge of molecular biology, metabolic modeling, and systems biology
- Proficient with either R or Python
- Proficient with relational databases and SQL
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, creative problem solving, collaborations with others.
- Strong organization skills and proven ability to manage details.
- Energetic, creative, team player.
Secondary Knowledge and Skill Considerations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience performing analysis on metabolic networks
- Experience with response surface methodology
- Ability to deliver on projects and assignments within timeframes and budgets.
Lygos offers a competitive total compensation packages including an employee incentive stock option plan. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, 401(k) plan, paid holidays and vacation time.