The Strategy & Business Development Manager will work directly with the CEO of Velano on critical business development, planning, & strategy activities. This person will partner with functional managers across the organization to develop and execute against critical business initiatives. This is an exciting opportunity for accelerated general management, strategy and leadership development and start-up experience in the healthcare and medical technology sector. This role will gain exposure to a range of business issues, across all functions at the company. Further, this individual will have a direct line of sight to the external marketplace and needs of our customers and partners.
The manager will be responsible for:
- Track industry dynamics and gather market intelligence: related partnerships, M&A activity, and other investments in vascular access, blood draw, infusion, and infection prevention spaces
- Strategy development, & engagement planning with other companies in the industry
- Assessment of market and partnership opportunities
- Relationship management, meeting planning, negotiation support, etc.
- Pitch deck development for investor meetings, customer presentations, and other existing/potential partners
- Support development of company strategy, priorities, goals; map and prioritize business initiatives
- Create and track corporate objectives in support of company growth strategies; track progress and develop progress reports
- Set agendas, prepare materials, and oversee and facilitate critical internal planning meetings, such as management team meetings
- Run company All-Hands meetings, from planning to content development to execution
- Support CEO in Special Projects on an ad hoc basis related to corporate strategy
- Act as an internal “consultant” to the company’s other departments to support short-term projects
Board & Investor Communications:
- Develop corporate materials for Board meetings, coordinate with executive team to gather, refine, and consolidate materials across departments
- Develop quarterly “newsletters” to summarize the state of the company
Company Awareness & Lead Generation (External Communications):
- External communications: Executive level communications including development of presentations and communications for conferences, advisors, customers, investors, partners and other external audiences
- Attend conferences and organize events to drive lead generation and gather market intel
- Support development of content pieces, including drafting articles and preparing CEO for interviews
Corporate Initiatives and Other Responsibilities:
- "Chief of Staff” support to CEO: Act as a point-person to troubleshoot company needs/issues as they arise, respond to requests, coordinate solutions, and resolve problems and embrace immediate-term opportunities
- Oversee Velano’s operational infrastructure investments (file-sharing, communications, performance management, etc.) and other employee initiatives
- In coordination with HR, Finance, and others, assess employee engagement strategies and other opportunities to maintain a strong office culture
This position will serve as extension of the CEO’s office, interacting with all company stakeholders from customers to patients, employees to investors, advisors to partners and more. This position will develop and maintain relationships with a wide array of individuals and entities essential to the establishment of a new standard of care in hospitals worldwide.
The Strategy and Business Development Manager will work closely with a talented, entrepreneurial team that has grown multiple start-up companies into established organizations in the health and technology sectors. We are looking for an individual who is comfortable in situations of ambiguity, as well as with making decisions in a fast-paced environment.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Strategic thinker who excels at problem-solving, with demonstrated experience in implementing structure/processes to solve unstructured problems
- Possesses the confidence and business maturity required to effectively communicate with senior management and external partners
- Organized, detail-oriented, and anticipatory with strong project management skills and outstanding leadership/influence management skills
- Demonstrated ability to structure, manage, and execute multiple projects simultaneously under aggressive deadlines
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment with the flexibility to rapidly shift directions on projects and priorities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential
- Firm grasp on business fundamentals, including strategic planning, sales and marketing (strategy and operations), basics of finance and accounting
- Strong analytical financial acumen and problem solving skills.
- Strong integrity and the ability to handle projects of a sensitive and confidential nature.
- A passion for making a positive impact in healthcare and on patients is required, as is the ability to communicate with a wide range of stakeholders, to think critically, creatively and strategically. Knowledge or interest in the healthcare industry, and ideally the medtech/device sector are a plus
- Experience at a leading strategy consulting firm preferred
Education & Work Requirements
- Four (4) year university degree required.
- Minimum 2-3 years of management consulting at top tier firm and/or healthcare strategy experience required
- Healthcare experience required (medical device or hospital experience preferred)
- Additional startup or small company experience preferred
- MBA preferred